Eunice, who recently passed away aged 96, served with her husband Donald Crook as British AoG as a missionary for 50 years from 1946 to 1996. Just after the second world war ended in October 1945 they applied to become AoG missionaries to work in Tamil Nadu, South India. They arrived in Bombay 1946 and then travelled by train to Madras. They were based in Coimbatore where they learned the Tamil language. They were involved in planting churches around Coimbatore in Pollachi and Madurai. They trained local evangelists to reach out into the villages with the Gospel message. Their ministry was essentially pioneer evangelism and church planting and they also developed Lifeline literature ministry in India. Towards the end of the 1960’s it became difficult for missionaries to obtain visas to work in India.
In 1969 Eunice and Donald were requested to move to South Africa to assist David Newington in the Lifeline literature ministry based at Nelspruit. With their many years of ministry experience working in India, it was better for them to be located in Durban where a high percentage of Indian migrant workers and their families had settled. J.F. Rowlands requested that Donald and Eunice work in the Durban Full Gospel Church and Bible College. By 1990 they had planted five Indian churches in Durban area of Kwazulu Natal.
At the end of the 1990’s they took well deserved retirement from their many years of mission work to return to the UK and reside in Maidstone, Kent. Donald Crook passed away in 2010.
We have heard that our esteemed missionary Gordon Burgess passed away at the weekend in his adopted nation of Spain aged 89.
Gordon and Margaret Burgess served as missionaries in Spain from 1962 when they first went out to work for the Spanish Pentecostal Mission. In 1967 Spain was seen as a fresh open door of opportunity for the British AoG to pioneer churches in the South of the country, when new government laws were passed in Spain allowing greater religious liberty. The OMC visited the nation and decided to adopt the work of Gordon and Margaret Burgess as the basis of developing the new mission field because there was no Evangelical or Pentecostal witness in that part of Spain. Gordon and Margaret Burgess were greatly encouraged by Ernest Shearman from Nottingham and Mike Jarvis from Dagenham. The links with Dagenham have continued with Gordon Burgess and the work in Spain right up to the present day through the support and interest of Ken Williamson.
Gordon and Margaret worked together in Spain for 48 years until 2010 when Margaret died. They were spiritual mentors to the various missionaries that joined the team in Spain. Gordon became more Spanish than English spending 55 years in Spain, only returning to the UK for itinerary visits. Gordon planted churches in various places starting in Aguilas and finishing his time in Alicante. Gordon was a Bible teacher training many Spanish AoG leaders through the regional Bible school. Gordon worked very closely with the Spanish AoG and was a true pioneer of the legacy that is left in the Pentecostal witness that thrives there today.
Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) has announced with regret and deep sadness the death of their Special Ambassador, the Reverend Stuart Windsor.
Stuart passed away at his home on the morning of 17 September.
Stuart was a former AoG minister who served as CSW's National Director for 19 years before retiring and becoming Special Ambassador. He travelled extensively to visit communities where freedom of religion or belief (FoRB) was being curtailed, often at great personal risk.
We’d love you to join us in remembering Stuart’s life and giving thanks for his legacy at a special memorial and thanksgiving service on Wednesday 29 November at Westminster Chapel, London.
Stuart was such a big part of CSW’s history, serving as our National Director for 19 years before stepping down and becoming Special Ambassador, a role he served in until the end. A dedicated defender and champion of freedom of religion, we’ll never forget Stuart’s courage, compassion, and deep, sincere love of Jesus.
Mattersey Hall can trace its roots through Kenley and Hampstead Bible Schools to the beginning of the 20th century and is one of the world’s oldest Pentecostal training institutions. The first Principal of Hampstead was Howard Carter who, was born in Aston, Birmingham in 1891. Howard had inherited two things from his father - a speech impediment (though he went on to preach around the world) and a creative, inventive ability (his father had inventions displayed in the Science Museum in London for a number of years). Carter trained at art school where he excelled and after realising that even the finest works of art fade in the process of time, he became disillusioned and started a spiritual quest. He started to attend a Church of Christ church near his home in Sparkbrook and was soon saved and water-baptised at this assembly. He received his Spirit- baptism at a conference in 1915 and on returning to his home church with his new found experience, was asked to leave! He joined a Pentecostal church in Saltley named Crown Mission and when the pastor decided to emigrate, the young Howard was asked to take over the leadership. The church soon grew and larger premises were found in a former billiard hall in Duddeston. At the same time, Howard resigned from his draughtsman job to enter the ministry full-time.
During WW1, Howard applied as a ‘Conscientious Objector’ but when it was found that his Pentecostal assembly was not part of a denomination, he was imprisoned at Wormwood Scrubs in London where he remained for nine months. He was then transferred to Dartmoor Prison and soon became the leader of a Bible study group. It was also during this time that he thought much about the Gifts of the Spirit and he produced notes which later developed into a set of lectures and provided the basis of Harold Horton’s popular book. When the War ended, Carter returned to pastoral ministry in Birmingham and then in South- East London.
Whilst in London, he was approached by the Secretary of the Pentecostal Missionary Union and offered to take charge of the Hampstead Bible School which was owned by the PMU. Although Carter initially turned the offer down, on the 14th February 1921, he agreed to take charge of Hampstead for six months or until a permanent replacement could be found. This temporary position eventually became a twenty-seven year appointment and to this day, Carter is the joint-longest serving Principal, tying with Dr David Petts who served the Assemblies of God Bible College from 1977 to 2004. In 1922, Some sixteen months after becoming Principal, Carter was told by the PMU that unless income increased significantly over the coming months, the Men’s School - like the Women’s School earlier in the same year - would close by the summer. Carter had previously read Psalm 91, a Scripture of security and protection, for his devotion that same morning and at lunch consulted the student body to invite their prayers. In the days that followed, Carter believed that the fledging Pentecostal churches in the UK and Pentecostal mission stations around the globe should not be deprived of their only Bible School and at a time of growing unemployment, economic stagnancy and industrial unrest in the UK following WW1, he offered to be personally and financially responsible for management of the School. Under Carter’s leadership, Hampstead became what Donald Gee later describes: ‘An important centre of Pentecostal influence throughout the British Pentecostal Movement’.
In the years that followed, despite financial struggles, Hampstead experienced huge success - student numbers began to rise steadily throughout the 1920’s and 1930’s and attracted several from nations across the continent - including Arthur Bergholc, who was later to become the Chairman of Assemblies of God in Poland. A world-class faculty was developed including C.L. Parker, John Carter, Elisha Thompson and Harold Horton, the Women’s Training Home was relaunched in 1927 at Louth and a second house was purchased in Hampstead Heath to accommodate the growth of the Men’s Training Home. As students were reaching the end of their studies, it was vital to Carter to secure openings for the graduates. Howard’s brother, John, was asked to conduct evangelistic campaigns around the UK in order to plant new congregations for the Hampstead graduates to pastor and pioneer. Howard, himself, bought buildings where the campaigns had taken place and such efforts lead to the establishment of the Bible School Evangelistic Society (BSES) in 1926. Less than three years later, in 1929, the BSES had 67 ministers working in 17 English counties - many of these assemblies soon became part of British Assemblies of God which was founded in 1924 - Howard Carter being one of its founding members. During WW2, Hampstead Bible School remained open and by 1943, according to Redemption Tidings, ‘past students had found spheres of service in 21 nations around the world, two students had become Principals of Bible Schools abroad and over 200 ministers and missionaries were formerly students at Hampstead’. After WW2, Carter was increasingly travelling overseas, including a 12 month around the world tour with only £5 in his pocket! He handed over Hampstead Bible School to George Newsholme in 1947 and moved to the USA. He returned to the UK in the 1960’s when John Carter became Principal at Kenley.
Howard Carter will be remembered as a man with the definite ability to inspire young men and women who were training for the ministry. He was also a man of faith. A notebook of his remains to this day which details incredible answers to prayer especially for finance. On one occasion, in 1926, the bank manager had threatened to call in an overdraft unless several hundred pounds were immediately placed into the School account. As was his habit, the Principal made the need known to the student body and together they prayed for help. Within three hours some £600 (a present day value of £35,000) had been provided. Carter’s notebook gives many other examples of financial provision. He passed away on the 22nd January 1971 at the age of 80. The inscription on Carter’s gravestone in Springfield, Missouri reads: ‘Howard Carter - Man of Faith’.
[Dr. S. Jenkins author]
Amy was a Blackburn lass born and bred. She was one of seven children in the Entwistle household and a cotton mill worker from the age of 14.
Her brother Hubert was one of the first contacts of Fred Watson of Blackburn and she was introduced to the church by him. As a result, she became one of the first converts and founder members of the Blackburn church and its first missionary. On a visit to the Easter Convention in Preston, she heard Burton and Salter speaking of their work in the Congo and knew that was where God was calling her as a nurse. She prepared by learning French. It is said, she propped a French book up on her loom and learned as she worked. Eventually she left Blackburn, supported by the church, for France to learn the language properly, then off to South Africa for Midwifery training. On qualifying as a midwife in 1926 at 29 years of age, she made the long, difficult six weeks trek to the Congo.
On arrival, she had to start all over again learning the native language. Life was hard, especially for a young British woman, battling heat, sickness and meagre rations but she learned to become very independent. She had to fend for herself and even learned to make bricks to build her own home and the hospital. She delivered many babies and cared for the physical and spiritual needs of the people of the Congo with great commitment for 32 years. She courageously shared her faith and sought to lead her people, especially the mothers, to Christ. On the closure of her mission whilst on furlough in the early fifties, she returned very unhappy but remained until 1958 retiring due to illness. This was just before the Belgian government granted the Congo independence in 1960 with all the horrendous events that followed.
Around 1970s/80s, without the relevant permission, Amy visited the mission and people again. True to her determined and intrepid nature, she set off on her own. She flew to Nairobi and got a Mission Aviation Fellowship plane to Congo then made her way to the mission. She was shocked to see the state of the building and roof. So, on her return to Britain, she set about raising funds for repairs and did so and sent it off.
Hubert, her brother, a pastor and later a local councillor in America, felt she should be honoured for her years of loving service to the people of Congo. So, he wrote to the Belgian authorities and requested she be given an award for her long and loving service in the Congo. They complied and granted her the Royal Order of the Lion (silver medal) which is given to people for their service in the Belgian Congo. It is pictured in her photo above. Later, Bill Counsell states, he also petitioned the UK authorities in the 1980s for an award and they responded with the M.B.E. A fitting token for such a dedicated lady.
Lawrence and Margaret Livesey were born in Blackburn, Lancashire in 1905 and 1906 respectively and married in 1928. Margaret came to faith first, through a cottage meeting held in the home of Amy Entwistle; Lawrence came to faith later. They joined Blackburn Assembly soon after conversion and grew in grace and enthusiasm. From the beginning, Lawrence was known for his boundless energy and evangelical zeal.
The first experience of ministry was in pastoring the Great Harwood Church, Lancashire. However, the call to missions was strong and they soon found themselves in Pollachi south of Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu State, India. Their early days on the field were very difficult. The promised support never materialised, except for £1 a month. Added to these hardships was the struggle to learn Tamil. They opened a Sunday School with 200 children attending. The turning point came with the conversion of a family and the community followed.
The Liveseys were supremely practical people. Lawrence built a bungalow for their own use and provided basic medical care to meet the people’s needs, all from a very slender budget. During their early days they evangelised the surrounding villages and built a church in Pollachi. Later, they were invited to take over the church in nearby Coimbatore. They concentrated their efforts on reaching and training the local people with signs following.
On their return from furlough in 1944 they established a Bible School and began to intensify the training of locals. When they retired in 1954 and returned to England, they left behind a thriving church, along with numerous converts and a number of good leaders to carry on the work. The churches are still going today in Coimbatore area, with large congregations cared for by converts along with Bible Colleges, schools, orphanages and various social and medical centres. Some of these are memorials to the Liveseys.
On returning to England Lawrence took up various pastorates. He pastored Bolton Church 1955-56, leaving there to take up a call to pastor the Blackburn Assembly on Willie Hacking’s resignation. They revisited India in 1960 at the request of Assemblies of God Missions Council, to sort out division in the church. They returned to the UK in 1965 having established another church in South India, Zion Assembly of God. At home, they continued to work pastoring and speaking at various churches and conferences.
Lawrence died on 12th June 1994 at 89 years old and Margaret two years later, September 1996 at 89 years old. At the time of their death, their last church, Zion Assembly of God, had over 1000 attending with 33 branch churches and three orphanages caring for 170 children. Truly, they were torch-bearers for God in southern India.
Website by WebWorks Design